In this tutorial, you will gain knowledge on introduction to Microservices and its architecture. As you go deep into the microservices tutorial, you will also get to know the benefits of Microservices.
Businesses use server-side enterprise applications to support their numerous clients with desktop browsers, mobile browsers, and other indigenous applications. There could be integrations with many other applications and API to let the third party use. The application may be handling HTTP requests and exchanging messages with other servers or systems. Hence, a service oriented architecture helps to communicate between various services and exchange of data.
What are Microservices?
It is a modification in SOA (Service-oriented architecture) which holds many loosely held services as an application structure. It is an application development whereby small granular services are bundled together as a suite. All these small granular services support a single business objective with a well-defined application programming interface (API).
Microservices are also known as microservice architecture. The advocates of SOA firmly believe that microservice architecture is a natural evolution of the service-oriented architecture (SOA) to put up cloud-computing and accommodate faster software-development cycles. A microservice architecture is anytime a good choice for large applications.
Difference between web services and microservices
Though the term service is common between both web services and microservices, there is a difference between web service and micro service. Web services are primarily designed software to support machine to machine interaction on the www (world-wide-web). The Microservices is a SOA which may be implemented with world wide web.
- A Microservice is an architecture which constructs an application as a bundle of loose services. A Web service is a set of protocols, standards used to communicate between applications and devices on the world wide web.
- It is divided into granular services, which have their unique process and manage their own database. A web service is a common platform for different applications to communicate.
- In a microservice, each service is loose and independent of each other. A web service provides protocols for information exchange between applications and devices.
- In a Microservice all the components are can be built, deployed and scaled individually to work for a common business goal. Microservices can serve over file descriptors like pipes. They have their own data stores like caches, data stores etc.
In simple terms, a web service may be a microservice architecture but a microservice architecture need not be a web service.
A microservice architecture is a server-side enterprise application to support multiple clients like desktop browsers, mobile, and other applications. A microservice architecture is a unique method of software development focusing on building single function modules with well-defined interfaces and functionalities. It facilitates implementation of DevOps, continuous testing, and agile methods. There is no standard model or architecture, but a few clearly defined characteristics are present in every model.
A multi-tier architecture is usually referred to as n-tier architecture in software engineering. It is a multi-layered client-server architecture. The processing of applications, data management, and presentation are separated physically. The name “n” is used as the tiers can range from 1 to any number. The services are usually hosted on different machines or clusters. The first three layers are technical and the other layers built are typically associated with business logic. The n-architecture takes advantage of distributed programming and data throughout a network. The n-tier is very logical, secure to manage, flexible, and scalable.
Importance of Microservice architecture
Moving to Microservice architecture can be a business decision as much as a technological decision. The importance of Microservice should be appreciated to understand and derive the benefits from the same.
Microservices enables continuous delivery. The development and operational easy provides an ideal environment for DevOps. Every application can be edited and tested without disturbing other applications. This paves the way for continuous improvement. There is zero downtime, with hardly any disruption. The troubleshooting is simple. Microservices helps to minimize disruption and update the software quickly enabling continuous delivery.
The applications in a Microsoft service can be moved without making changes in the environment. The go-to-market strategies can be designed, and the speed to market can be increased thereby increasing the reliability with the customers.
The applications can be updated and tested quickly to adapt to dynamic market conditions. The developers can experiment without any hesitation. This encourages innovation and increases return on investment.
The performance of the application drives the developers and architects. They strive hard to address technical and business problems. They work hard to deliver performance-driven applications for customer satisfaction. The importance of Microservice architecture is not only for customers but also for developers and architects.
Benefits of microservices
- Microservices or microservice architecture is always better than monolithic design structures.
- The Microservice architecture addresses the agility and scalability issues in monolithic architecture and overcomes these factors.
- It is flexible. The failure of one service component does not impact others.
- It easy to understand as each component represents a small independent piece of functionality.
- Microservices gives the freedom to choose any technology that is suited for business functionality.
- Testing them is easy as each service is independent of each other.
- It merges development and operational skills. It reduces the contradiction of goals and friction.
- Microservices use software engineering and improve the quality of code.
- The code can be written in multiple languages for various services.
- Integration is very simple into open source tools like Jenkins.