Businesses use server-side enterprise applications to support their numerous clients with desktop browsers, mobile browsers, and other indigenous applications. There could be integrations with many other applications and API to let the third party use. The application may be handling HTTP requests and exchanging messages with other servers or systems. Hence, a service oriented architecture helps to communicate between various services and exchange of data.
Microservice is a modification in SOA (Service-oriented architecture) which holds many loosely held services as an application structure. It is an application development whereby small granular services are bundled together as a suite. All these small granular services support a single business objective with a well-defined application programming interface (API).
Microservices are also known as microservice architecture. The advocates of SOA firmly believe that microservice architecture is a natural evolution of the service-oriented architecture (SOA) to put up cloud-computing and accommodate faster software-development cycles. A microservice architecture is anytime a good choice for large applications.
Difference between web services and microservices
Though the term service is common between both web services and microservices, there is a difference between web service and micro service. Web services are primarily designed software to support machine to machine interaction on the www (world-wide-web). The Microservices is a SOA which may be implemented with world wide web.
A Microservice is an architecture which constructs an application as a bundle of loose services. A Web service is a set of protocols, standards used to communicate between applications and devices on the world wide web.
A microservice is divided into granular services, which have their unique process and manage their own database. A web service is a common platform for different applications to communicate.
In a microservice, each service is loose and independent of each other. A web service provides protocols for information exchange between applications and devices.
In a Microservice all the components are can be built, deployed and scaled individually to work for a common business goal. Microservices can serve over file descriptors like pipes. They have their own data stores like caches, data stores etc.
In simple terms, a web service may be a microservice architecture but a microservice architecture need not be a web service.
Benefits of microservices
- Microservices or microservice architecture is always better than monolithic design structures. The Microservice architecture addresses the agility and scalability issues in monolithic architecture and overcomes these factors.
- The bigger applications are protected from the failure of a single module as microservices is a bundle of services which function independently and have theirs.
- Agility: The microservices encourage small independent services which take ownership of themselves. These independent services act quickly and reduce cycle time. Hence the deployment is faster due to their agility.
- Microservices follow the single responsibility principle.
- Microservices are flexible. The failure of one service component does not impact others.
- Microservices are easy to understand as each component represents a small independent piece of functionality.
- Microservices gives the freedom to choose any technology that is suited for business functionality.
- Microservices can enhance the performance of the services by deploying in multiple servers and work independently without impacting the performance of other services.
- Testing the microservices is easy as each service is independent of each other.
- Microservices merges development and operational skills. It reduces the contradiction of goals and friction. The entire application life-cycle will be smooth to enable quick deployment. Testing can be done to roll back what is not working. Low cost of failures leads to innovation and change.
- Microservices use software engineering and improve the quality of code. The similarities of software as a service helps in improved reusability, and code maintenance.
- The code can be written in multiple languages for various services.
- Integration is very simple into open source tools like Jenkins.
- Microservices works excellently with containers like Dockers.
- Microservices makes use of cloud services.
- It’s easy to scale up and integrate with third-party
- The architecture method is most ideal to support multiple platforms like web, mobile, IoT, etc.